Friday, December 06, 2013

I'm Dreaming of a...Muted Beige Christmas?

I don't know why I so strongly felt that I had to do a ruffian with red and beige (or nude).  But I did.  Aside from the fact that I'm extremely terrible at freehanding anything, I didn't have many problems with this.  I'm going to be showing you my right hand because Remy got a little uppity with his claws the other day, and I have a small...shall we say, gouge on my left middle finger that is not pretty to look at.  The polishes I used were RBL Chinoise and OPI Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh?.




with one of Remy's toys in different light; pulling brown here!

Revlon Matte Balm in Elusive (camera made it waaaaaaaaaaaay brighter than it actually is); also you can see the little boo boo on my middle finger here

I got a little wobbly with Chinoise around my cuticles.  I hadn't used an RBL polish in a while, and I forgot how thick the formula is compared to something like a China Glaze or an OPI.  While I was checking out at Target yesterday the cashier asked me if my nails were for Ohio State (their colors are scarlet and gray).  See, that's how gray OPI DYEAVG pulls when it's next to Chinoise.  It really does look gray even though it isn't at all (here's my first post on it so you can see how beige it looks).  I actually had just wanted to pair a bright red with a neutral to have something that was still Christmas-y but not overly Christmas-y.  Oh well.  Still looks chic.

I'm not sure why I chose Chinoise for this.  I think it was just on top of a pile of reds.  Truth be told (and I've said this before) I'm just not a fan of RBL as a company anymore.  This was one of my first polishes from them.  I considered gifting all of my RBLs to Anna because I know she's a huge fan.  In the end I couldn't part with many of them.  It's weird because I definitely associate different RBL hauls with different times in my life (some good, some not so good), and I got Chinoise along with Bikini Bottom and Diddy Mow at a time when I was feeling particularly happy.  So they all stayed with me.  Even though I don't like the company (mostly just the exclusivity that's associated with it now, and the demeanor of the owner)...damn if they don't make a polish with a great formula.  Sadly they just don't last on me.  I've been told to get the topcoat, but if I'm paying upwards of $20 for a nail polish I feel like it should perform well (read:  PERFECTLY) on its own.  I'm just telling you all of this stuff because a.) I've noted in the past that my thoughts about RBL have changed significantly since I first started collecting polish and b.) because this manicure chipped on me basically immediately.  I'm not blaming it on the OPI because that usually performs fine on me.  It was the Chinoise, guys.  It was the Chinoise.  But regardless, here's Remy cuddling the bottle.

This is THE CUTEST.  He even has his paw on my little buffer.  Manicure cat.
  

Anyway, the week's over and I kind of can't believe it.  But I've been having a nice week.  Several social engagements and such, which is always nice.  It keeps me busy.  Lately I've been a little down because the job front is bleak.  Then yesterday I was talking to a friend from New York and she asked me how I'm doing.  I expressed to her the bleak prospects but then said that I'm feeling comfortable and settled.  She said, "Feeling settled is important."  And you know, it is.  I tried to think to myself when the last time I felt settled was.  I can't really remember!  Certainly not in my college apartment, because it seemed temporary (which it was, of course), not really during grad school because it was definitely temporary (I never even decorated; ask anyone who came over), and I felt awful in NYC, as we all know.  But now I feel myself nesting.  So it's nice.  If nothing else, that's a personal triumph for me.  All I can do is keep going, keep applying, and not giving up.

One last thing.  A couple weeks ago I randomly decided that I'm going really girly with my wedding.  Colors that were once black and white became blush and coral.  I know.  BLUSH AND CORAL.  But I'm committed to these colors now (at least in my mind), and the other day I had another idea to incorporate teacups into the reception and decor.  So.  If anyone has any mismatched teacups lying around that you're not using or that you don't like anymore and you'd be willing to send my way, then e-mail me.  I've started collecting them from Goodwill and the like, but help would be appreciated! Here's an example:


Not sure what I'm gonna do with these bad boys yet.  Maybe centerpieces or little planters as favors.  I don't know.  But anyway, if any of you have any suggestions about how to use mismatched teacups like these, let me know.  I'm getting into plan mode for this shindig, so it'd be appreciated.

Okay.  Teacup out.

21 comments:

  1. I have three Tea Cups that were left in my apartment when i moved in. There were 4 but use one as a sugar bowl. You are more than welcome to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME!! Can I e-mail you? Or can you shoot me one? snf5[at]case[dot]edu

      Delete
    2. I will send you and email tomorrow!! I am happy to send them to a better home with a great use for them!

      Delete
  2. The title of this post is so funny. But this look is beautiful and works great for Christmas! If you're still on the lookout for some inexpensive stocking stuffers, check out Dorco. We're a shaving company and our razors cost 30-70% less than leading brands. See our prices for yourself and read what others have to say about our products at DorcoUSA.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What in particular do you not care for, about RBL's owner? I don't know much, but I thought people were head over heels for Ji.

    The polish is nice (just scored 2 for free-- penance over being charged a million times for trying to place an order during their nightmare sale a few weeks ago) but I agree, $20 is ridic. Although, I do blame you--you're the one who introduced me to them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abby. Long story short, I just don't like her I-can-do-no-wrong attitude. The way she handled the Georgia O'Keeffe cease and desist was my last straw. Her blog post on it really put me off. She seems to have zero respect for the intellectual property of others. Things like how poorly handled this last sale was, too. She knew it would be a huge event and she wasn't ready for it. I didn't participate in it, but I heard horror stories from people about it who, like you, were charged more than once.

      I did used to really like RBL before it sort of blew up on social media (I'm not trying to be a hipster, it's just the truth), but that was also when I changed my polish literally once a day, so I didn't notice how crappy the wear was on me.

      But I will always absolutely adore my two Spongebob polishes. Although I'm wondering why there was no cease and desist for those names (along with Pepto Pink and IKB2012...who knows).

      Delete
  4. Awwww teacups!!! My mother collects tea sets so I will definitely ask her and if I see some around here when Im out and about maybe with Ange Ill definitely pick them up for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU!! Let me know for sure!

      <3

      Delete
  5. We have had the whole RBL conversation, so I will say this:

    (1) Yeah, I knew you were going to succumb to the coral at some point. I also will forward any teacup wedding things your way.

    (2) I'm so glad you're starting to feel settled! I can't remember the last time I felt that way. I haven't organized anything in my room because WHAT IF something happens and I have to pack up again? (Nothing has happened in the past 3 years.) Anyway, good for you -- this is a huge deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl. Yep, I refused to unpack for a long time in every place I've lived in the past several years. I bought plastic organizer drawers for my bathroom counter. Now that's settled.

      Delete
  6. If your venue allows open flames you could hand pour wax in them to create DIY candles, or just put votives in them. If you can't have candles, you could give them as favors. And maybe dye the wax Blush and Bashful - I mean - Blush and Coral ; ) either way, I think it would be really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw DIY teacup votives on Pinterest and they look SO cute.

      PS I'm calling my wedding colors Blush and Bashful from now on. You win everything.

      Delete
    2. Haha - that was my first thought too reading your post: "Mah colors are blush & bashful!" :)

      Delete
  7. That is a lovely ruffian! I always love the combination of bright and happy colours with neutrals.
    I love the teacup idea, that is just so lovely and quirky :-) You could make a mix of teacup candles (hand poured or with beach sand and tea lights), tea cups with tiny flowers in them (like little mixed bouquets or mini roses) and tea cups filled with mints or sweets (in colour of course) and just sprinkle them around the dining tables. Or glue loads of them together in an artistic centrepiece filled with flowers and candles. Or use them for the dessert; let the chefs fill them with all kinds of icecream, cake, bonbons etc.! Wow, I'm getting all creative and inspired here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the votive idea on Pinterest, but actually now that I think about it, I don't think my venue allows open flames because it's a museum. I might have to come up with a different way to use them. But I'm excited at the prospect!

      Delete
  8. OMG i LOVE the idea of the teacups. Also, I'm just like you. I've gone through so many periods of love and hate with rbl. I've also gone through so many different periods of different wear. Used to they chipped within minutes on me, now, I just wore fire queen for 5 or 6 days. Like, wtf? And I'm with you! If I am going to pay 20 bucks for one effin polish that polish better apply itself while it yodels me the greek alphabet and then lasts for two weeks without dulling. All without needing a special topcoat or basecoat. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's less the wear and more the owner. I'm just over her. But the wear is annoying.

      Delete
  9. Love the teacup idea - will see if i can find some great ones to send, I'm, sure I'm have a few lying around.
    Awesome to have some that came all the way from Australia, no?
    On the mani - love ruffian, but using red at the base always makes me think of bleeding cuticles _ I'm prone to nipping mine - oh the horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      And yeah, after I was done with this I actually sent a picture to my friend and said, "Does it look like my cuticles are bleeding?" She said no, so after that I never really thought about it.

      Delete
  10. Forex Latest News, Forex Trading Tips, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!