Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Mardi Gras Polish: A Horse With No Name

Many moons ago (during the high summertime months when we were worried about tornados instead of a POLAR VORTEX) I bought this Mardi Gras polish from the Rite-Aid by my parents' house.  I remember at the time I was irritated when I bought this because it doesn't have a name (THE HORROR), and when I finally got it out to use it I was irritated all over again.  So I decided to name it myself.  This polish shall henceforth be known as:  Twee Confetti.  








Twee Confetti is made by Blue Cross, which is the same company that produces our beloved snowman and pumpkin polishes at the drug store--I believe that those also don't come with names, but I haven't gotten one in a long time so I'm not sure.  Anyway, this polish is a copy of Lippmann Candy Shop.  I don't own the original (sadly) so I can't do a proper comparison, but just from looking at pictures it seems like they might be pretty close.  Twee Confetti consists of multicolored glitter of different sizes in a bubblegum pink jelly base.  The first coat ends up looking pretty sheer, but I got it decently opaque at only two coats.  I...love this polish.  It was $3.99, I think, and totally worth it.  It's just so incredibly happy-looking, and I'm so into pink right now.  I don't like straight-up pink creme polishes, but this one is right up my alley.  

In other news, here in Cleveland we've been in the depths of the aforementioned "polar vortex."  It hasn't been fun.  On Monday it got so cold that even wearing leggings under jeans, wool socks, boots, a huge sweater, a coat, and a scarf when I went outside I felt like I was going to die.  My feet couldn't get warm, even just driving around in the car.  Eventually we gave up errand-running and such and just went home, piled on the blankets, and turned up the heat.  Around 10 o'clock Ben and I decided to do the trick outside where you throw boiling water into the air and then it turns to snow (or freezes) as it falls.  It worked.  That's how cold is was.

See?

The next morning it warmed up!  By noon it reached 0.  


I think we're supposed to come out of the below zero temps today (as you can see), but this has not been fun.  Our apartment complex called and told us to keep all of our faucets on a slow drip to avoid having our pipes freeze.  Yuck.  I don't think it's ever been this cold around here in my lifetime.  Here's hoping all of you kept warm!

If you can still find Twee Confetti at Rite-Aids, then I suggest you pick it up if you're into this jelly-packed-with-glitter look.  There was also a Candy Shop polish floating around at Claire's for a while.  But there's also always the option of finding the original Lippmann shade, but $$$$.  I prefer these drug store dupes because I'm cheap and they're at least suitable, if not dead-on, dupes.  I actually see myself wearing this a lot because it's just so...twee.

Okay, I'll talk to you all on Friday for the January Shopping My Stash post!  Stay cozy!

10 comments:

  1. That is the happiest pink glitter ever! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. -9? I wish it was -9 here! It's been at least -30ish here every day with the wind chill! *brrr*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was -9 without windchill. Meaning the actual temperature was -9 (the Apple weather widget doesn't factor in windchill). Meaning that WITH windchill, it was around -30 here too. It didn't get as cold as Chicago or Minnesota or Canada, but it was pretty effing cold.

      Delete
  3. That polish is very twee indeed. I love it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I s'pose Candy Shop is a perfectly good name for it, but I like Twee Confetti better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I love that word, "twee."

      Delete
  5. I love this its more hot pink than candy shop, which I had and disliked because it was too bubblegum. Wish we had mardi gras polished down here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever see them in Rite-Aid. Do you guys not have Rite-Aids down there?

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!