Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Maybelline Color Show Frozen Over (With Dots!)

There are new Maybelline Color Show polishes out on a pretty sizable display.  When I ran across them at Target I felt like there wasn't anything too interesting, except for Frozen Over (which actually might be a dupe for Sinful Colors Cinderella--and if not, it seems pretty close).  But when I actually used Frozen Over, I thought it looked a little boring on its own and decided it needed a little embellishment.  I got out a tiny dotting tool and a bobby pin and got to work.






while he's distracted by OUTSIDE I can pretty much pile bottles of nail polish on and around Remy and he doesn't even care


First let's talk about Frozen Over.  It's a sheer, very light blue base with pink and maybe gold (?) shimmer throughout.  For reference, here is my post on Sinful Colors Cinderella from 2012, which I described as "a pale blue with a drop or two of gray added to it that gives it a soft feel.  It also has tiny gold and pink shimmer, which is just incredible."  2012 Stephanie was way more impressed with Cinderella than 2014 Stephanie is with Frozen Over (which is very similar) #polishjaded.  But anyway, for this I used three coats of the Maybelline (could have used a fourth), and then did a sort of dot gradient using OPI Alpine Snow and China Glaze Passion For Petals (which is actually a pink, but looks sort of orange here).  It was very easy, and I love the results.  

Then I ended up dropping by Walgreens that same day and I found Wet n Wild Shine's new matte top coat.  Yay!  I have been wanting a matte top coat because my Essie Matte About You DRIED THE HELL OUT.  Seriously, it is completely unusable, and I don't know how it happened.  The bottle was closed tightly, etc.  Anyway, this top coat, like other Wet n Wild Shine polishes, was only 99 cents.  And as you can see from the photographs, it clearly does a good job mattifying.  It gets a ringing endorsement from me.  And I actually like this manicure better matte.



So anyway, there you have it.  I'm getting a little bored with recent polish releases.  Nothing is really speaking to me.  Even polishes that I bought from, say, 2013 fall collections, aren't even interesting enough to me right now to use them.  They're all lined up in my bathroom waiting to be used, but I'm all "meh."  What have you guys been loving right now?  Do you have any recommendations?  If so, I'd love to read about them in the comments.  Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. I'm back in my rut of dark Essies and bright reds...it's been kind of slow over here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's weird? Literally four of the polishes I have in line to wear are purple. THREE purple Essies, and one of the L'Oreal brocades. I keep buying purples and just not wearing them. Derp.

      Delete
  2. I'm clearly not ready for the cold weather/holidays to end (don't tell me that they're already over, I want to belieeevvee) so I'm currently feeling glitters and dark reds/purples. Illamasqua's Glitterati was perfection, as was Zoya's Katharine. And I just ordered Zoya Payton and Bianca. None of these are new, but I'm nevertheless excited.

    I'm also kind of dying over OPI's Underneath the Mistletoe. I feel like the Mariah Carey holiday collection just kind of got a big "meh" from the polish community, but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice online swatches of it looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually was totally unaware of Illamasqua Glitterati so I looked it up and WOW. It looks really beautiful. I also just ordered a couple Zoyas, but normally I don't have great wear time with them so I tend to steer clear. I couldn't resist the promo, though.

      God, I didn't get ANY OPI holiday polishes and I'm starting to regret it. I kind of want Warm Me Up.

      Delete
    2. Glitterati is a total beaut, and it has a great formula. I couldn't resist it during the Sephora holiday sales, and I have no regrets at all.

      I have the same problem with Zoya! Urgh, so frustrating, especially if I used a jelly requiring 3-4 coats. And I totally couldn't resist the promo either! 3 more polishes are on their way haha.

      Delete
    3. I've heard that to get the best results you have to use the color lock system with the base and top coat, etc. But I'm totally against having to do that (which is why I bitch so much about RBL!).

      Delete
  3. I've been going back to some old favorites lately. Revlon Perplex (Chanel Paradoxal dupe & currently named Naughty) and Revlon Powder Puff from the Matt Suede collection. None of the new collections are really thrilling me. I am going to pre-order the Passionate Dreams collection from Cult, though. Great colors and outstanding press release!

    ~Karli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird you said that because I JUST ran into Revlon Perplex yesterday when I was starting to clean house (of course it's a keeper). I'll have to check out that Cult Nails collection and see how I feel about it :) Thanks girl!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Check us out on our new Angel Pro Gelly Polish! Do look us up on Instagram @angelpronail! #justsharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the good ole days of Sinful Cinderella. HEHE. This blue is pretty, but since I'm a polish snob, I won't be buying it. I do love the dots though-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going through my stash the other day and I realized that I actually have TWO bottles of Cinderella. *eyeroll*

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!