Friday, January 10, 2014

Shopping My Stash WINTERTIME: OPI Alpine Snow

Yay, it's the first Shopping My Stash post of 2014!  Rach and I weren't too creative this month, and we decided on a wintertime theme.  After going through a bunch of my untrieds, I had a hard time finding a polish that had anything to do with wintertime or that looked particularly wintery to me.  Except one, which was the most obvious choice in the world.  Sorry I'm not sorry.







I fully cop to these pictures not being good.  My camera didn't want to focus, I think because the white polish was bright, and then the added bling from Essie Hors D'Oeuvres (last seen here and here) was just too much for it.  Also, gross dry cuticles.  I'm sorry.

Sweater here.  As Robin Thicke would say, I know you want it.


This is OPI Alpine Snow with a gradient(ish) of Essie Hors D'Oeuvres to make it look more winterish.   First of all, this is a super old polish.  Seriously, I think aside from OPI Flint Island Flicker (which, when is that even FROM? [1997, people.  1997]) it is absolutely the oldest polish I own.  It was actually my mom's, so it had been lying around her house for a while.  Finally I just took it (sorry mom), and it's been sitting in one of my Helmer drawers ever since.  I had never used it.  Until now.  The formula was actually okay for a white, but because the bottle is so old, it had the old skinny brush. I think application on this one would have been easier with a wider brush, just because the formula was a little thick and had trouble leveling.  Otherwise, though, it was alright.  It definitely needed three coats.  I actually like the look of white polish on its own (as long as it's nice and shiny to avoid that Wite-Out look), but I'm still crushing hard on this Essie glitter, so I couldn't resist jazzing Alpine Snow up a bit.  I actually think a white polish would be an amazing base for Hors D'Oeuvres, so that might happen in the near future.  Because, as I've said a couple times now, this glitter is everything.

Actually, I've been looking for a nice white polish with a really manageable formula for a long time.  Regrettably, Alpine Snow, although the formula is okay, is not it.  At one point in time I almost sprung for Rescue Beauty Lounge Underwear, but I decided not to waste the dollars on a polish whose formula was probably not that great (because...white).  I really, really wish that OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls was more of a pure white than a dirty white (also known as gray, I guess), because that would be perfect.  I guess I just have to keep searching.  

Alright, that's all for today.  To end I'll ask:  does anyone have any white polish recommendations for me?  I would appreciate suggestions!  Make sure you head on over to stuff to check out what Rach has for you today (which is probably more interesting than what I had, let's be honest).  Have a good weekend, everybody!

13 comments:

  1. PRETTY! You were not kidding about your love for Essie Hors D'oeuvres :p

    I have a couple of untried white polishes, so perhaps I'll start looking into them on your account. I own Cult Nails Tempest because I heard really great things about it -- I'll have to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I was not kidding.

      Let me know how your whites swatching goes! I will take your advice on anything.

      Delete
  2. First: that sweater is the cutest sweater in all of sweaterdom. I can't even convey how much I want it.

    Second: How good does white look on you!!?? I've always had really bad luck with whites-I feel that they make my hands look dirty and red and blotchy, and I always-no matter how much top coat I use-end up looking like I've got white-out on my nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. I do like how white looks on me, I just don't wear it too often.

      Delete
  3. That sweater is adorable!

    Re: white polishes - Milani White On The Spot. Seriously, so great. It's kind of thick, so it can be a little hard to manage, but that also means that sometimes it's opaque in one coat(!). And worst come to worst, if you don't like it you're only out $5 or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, awesome! I'm going to check that one out next time I'm at CVS!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Steph,

    Love the detail you've done here! What a pretty winter combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look too, but like you, I cannot find the perfect white. I've seen pictures of SH Mousseline and it looks like its a winner. So on the hunt I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one does look pretty, but it looks very sheer like Essie Marshmallow. I'm definitely looking for an opaque white.

      Delete
  6. I adore white polish. My hands down favorite white polish is OPI Funny Bunny. Coming in close second is RBL Bella from the GOMM collection. I had RBL underwear, but it didn't wow me on my skintone. it was stark white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted Funny Bunny for a while, but I never run across it. Someday! I'm not buying RBL anymore. Especially not any from that collection.

      Delete
  7. Love this post! Shopping my stash always inspires me - I am heading for my nail polishes next!!

    Just found some nice topshop ankle boots in my shoe stash.... not tackled the wardrobe yet! http://www.diamolifestyleblog.com/2014/02/topshop-ankle-boot.html

    DIAMO x

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!