Thursday, January 30, 2014

Zoya Piaf: Meh

After missing it last year, this year I decided to do the Zoya three free thingy.  I spent a long time poring over swatches for my last two polishes, but the first one I chose was a no-brainer:  Piaf.  You see, one of my very favorite polishes ever is an oldie but a goodie:  Sally Hansen Salon Forsythia from a Tracy Reese collection of yore (you can see it on me here, and if you REALLY want a throw-back, here).  Piaf reminded me of the color of Forsythia, so I knew I wanted it...because Forsythia has a really awful formula.  So, without further ado:





Okay, so here's the thing.  I actually put this on twice.  The first time I put it on was at night in dim light.  I did my normal two coats and thought that it looked like I had visible nail line.  So I did a third.  But then I felt like I could still see my nail line.  So I did a fourth.  A fourth!  Then I put on some topcoat, watched Dance Moms, and went to bed.  Of course I woke up in the morning with horrendous sheet marks.  I got kind of irritated.  I googled Piaf to see what other bloggers had said about it, and everyone said it was opaque at two coats.  I was confused.  Even Christine over at Temptalia said it was opaque at two coats, and she is usually a pretty tough and honest reviewer.  So I took it off and started all over again.  I used thicker coats and just stopped at two.  That's what you see in the pictures above.  And, as you can CLEARLY SEE, this is not opaque.  Not at all.  But I just couldn't handle doing four coats again.

Here's a sunlight picture.  You can see how streaky it is, especially on my pinky.  Ugh.


Yeah, I don't know guys.  I'm really disappointed in this one.  I absolutely love the color.  It's like an almost-gold yellow shade with pearlescent shimmer.  But the formula was super thick and not very easy for me to maneuver.  And then there was the opacity issue.  Did I get a dud bottle or something?  Pretty much every review I read on it said that the formula was fine (if a little thick) and that the polish was pigmented.  So, color me confused.

This is what it has been like the past couple days (without windchill).  I'm getting a little sick of winter.  Normally I really like it, but this is just ridiculous.  And it's only January.  February is totally the worst month (I say this every year), so I am dreading it.


Ben is leaving on a work trip today.  Just like I'm over winter, I'm over being by myself.  Thank goodness for Remy.  He's a nice little companion.  Too bad he can't plan our wedding for me.  Over the past few days I officially hired a photographer for the wedding (love her), found an officiant (she's great), got my order of save the dates, designed an invitation suite, and made a cake appointment.  Things, they are a-rollin'.  

Here's our save the date photo that our friend Jenna took.  I doctored it up with some text for the actual cards that we're sending out, but I think this picture is perfect.


Okay, that's all.  The next time I talk to you guys it will be *shudder* February.  Does anyone else have experience with Zoya Piaf?  It's starting to drive me crazy that I'm apparently the only one who has had trouble with it.

16 comments:

  1. I also got Piaf in my set of 3 Zoyas too. I haven't tried it yet but this makes me concerned--I needed a yellow that wasn't a pain in the ass and saw all of the same reviews you did. I'll give it a try and report back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do let me know how this works for you. I was so irritated when I couldn't get it to cover sufficiently. Literally no one said anything to that effect about this polish.

      Delete
  2. How disappointing with Piaf, it is a beautiful color though. And I love the save the date photo~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a beautiful color, but I guess I'll stick with Forsythia.

      Thanks! It was a cute idea to use the apple (my friend's idea and not mine!).

      Delete
  3. I hate when a lemming doesn't live up to the hype! Have you thought about contacting Zoya for a replacement bottle? Maybe yours is a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about that, no. Maybe I should!

      Delete
  4. Hi Stephanie,

    Zoya Piaf seems like a unique color to say the least - it's a shame that the formula leaves something to be desired...

    I love the creativity in your save the date photo! It reminds me of sunnier, warmer days (which as you mentioned it certainly is not currently like in the midwest!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dovey! Our friend/photographer had the idea to write the date on an apple. We had a lot of fun with her.

      Delete
  5. I love Piaf & thus felt slightly offended on its behalf by your headline ;-) Just now painted it straight on my nails, and surprise - you are completely correct. Piaf is streaky on first coat, and nicely even but not opaque at two coats. My bottle is 10 months old and I never noticed its bad behavior! But then I always start any manicure with a coat of some opaque nude that I don't enjoy on its own (have a few of those from trial-and-error before finding "my" nudes...), or at least a milky base coat. Then two coats of color polish. Maybe you can give Piaf another chance with some "underwear"? I'm sure you'll love it. Thanks for writing such a lovely blog, and best wishes for your upcoming nuptials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's funny. I learned that trick a long time ago from a blog called The Manicured Manatee (or something similar). I've used it a few times. I might give Piaf another chance, but not anytime soon since I used it twice in less than 24 hours (unheard of for me!). Also the other day my man-friend commented on the color and told me it makes my nails look like I've been smoking for years, haha. Sometimes men just can't appreciate a unique fugly color.

      Delete
  6. i LOVE this yellow! even with the formula issues you say, i love love love that yellow on you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm firmly eh on Piaf, but I need to know about the lipstick you're wearing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Hot. Those lipsticks are definitely my favorite from the drugstore, and Hot is my favorite shade. I did a whole blogpost on it if you want to take a look:

      http://shortnchic.blogspot.com/2011/03/busting-myth-covergirl-lip-perfection.html

      Delete
  8. I've seen Piaf in person and I considered buying it once, but I'm glad I didn't. It's definitely pretty but I think I can live without it.

    Cute picture by the way! I really like it. I also just noticed that your wedding is the day after my niece or nephew is supposed to be born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September is super popular for weddings now, but we (I) chose that date because it was my grandparents' wedding anniversary. And my grandmother died only days before we toured the venue. Seemed right.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!