Monday, February 10, 2014

China Glaze Don't Honk Your Thorn

I recently said that no new releases have been exciting to me.  Holiday collections were kind of blah and I wasn't over the moon about pretty much any of the fall or winter stuff.  But last week I walked into Ulta and all of that changed when I laid eyes on a couple new spring collections.  I picked up two polishes from the China Glaze City Flourish collection, and I was excited to try out Don't Honk Your Thorn (even though the name gets a major eyeroll from me).






SUN!!!



I chose this one against my better judgment.  When I saw it in the store I thought, this looks a lot like OPI Sand In My Suit... which has never worked on my skintone, and its pearlescent shimmer has never appealed to me (I really need to get rid of my bottle).  But I thought Don't Honk Your Thorn might be different.  It's a light beige-y nude with silver microshimmer.  And it's pretty.  But I think it's too warm for me.  Actually, though, looking at it in pictures, I like it.  But when I was actually wearing it?  The whole time I was like, eh...it's okay.  I couldn't wait to replace it with a punchier color (and I did, and you will see that very soon; infinitely more exciting, I swear).  As for the formula, it was decent.  I found it to be a little thick, and at my standard two coats there were a few bald patches, so I did three.  Oddly enough, this polish dried with tiny bubbles throughout.  At first I thought it was my topcoat, but when I was removing it it looked like there were little pinprick holes in it; so it was definitely the polish.  I dunno, guys.  I'm not crazy about this color.  I think it appealed to me because it was the lone neutral amid a sea of brights and neons.  

Speaking of disappointments, we should talk about Peter Pilotto for Target.  Nothing was super appealing to me, and the prices were actually kind of high.  To be fair, my Target seems to have gotten a pretty small selection of things.  Out of the stuff I tried on, this top is the only thing I liked (I was holding the tag back, hence the weird arm thing happening):


I didn't get it, though.  I didn't check to see what it was made of, but the material was very thin with very little structure.  I love the colors and the print, and if I see it on clearance I'll probably pounce on it then.  I tried on a couple dresses and a button-down, but nothing really made the cut.  I'll be scoping out the clearance racks in the coming weeks to see what's up and to see if there are any online returns of stuff that didn't hit stores, but all in all I'm pretty disappointed in this collection.  It's too bad.  I love prints.

You know what I did buy, though?  THIS:

NO SHAME, GUYS

Okay, that's all for today.  How depressing!  Lackluster polish choice and a lackluster Target collaboration.  Did anyone else check out the Peter Pilotto stuff?  Get anything?  And what about China Glaze City Flourish?  I'm curious to know what your picks were.  I have one more to show you from that collection, and I'm hoping it's much more exciting.

Happy Monday!

14 comments:

  1. Fox sweater, ftw. Also, I LOVE THAT SHIRT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the Peter Pilotto collection in the store yet but as a confirmed All Black All Year disciple, bright prints are not my jam. I might check out the swimsuits 'cause I like the look of that longline bikini top and I might buy some tops or something on clearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My store didn't have the bathing suits, which is sad because I did want to see them. I will definitely be on the lookout for stuff in clearance!

      Delete
  3. Well, I really like this on you, even if you don't. (Which probably means I'll really like this on me, ha!)

    I was so exhausted after Saturday night that I forgot all about Peter Pilotto. Whooooooops. I guess I didn't miss much. Oh, and that kitty t-shirt looks like a fluffy baby version of my Mr. Archer. I approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was out late on Saturday night and completely forgot about it. I didn't even get out of my pajamas until 3pm. Womp womp.

      Delete
  4. Honestly I think this color looks great on you Stephanie!! Granted I know how it goes when something looks great in photos but not so much in person (and vice versa)… it's frustrating to feel the need to explain that something really isn't as pretty as it seems haha. Regardless you SCORED on that cat tshirt so I guess there's that :)

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks girl. It's not a bad color, I'm just angry at myself because I've basically bought it once before and not liked it! I have to see how close it is to the OPI...but I have a feeling they're super close. I've been wanting to purge that OPI for quite a while, too. Whoops.

      Delete
  5. I got At Vase Value (http://fluffywuffnails.blogspot.com/2014/02/china-glaze-at-vase-value-from-city.html), and talk bout a bright punch of color. The few bloggers who've swatched the collection all emphasize the terrible formula, but it was alright for me, certainly not difficult enough for me to regret buying. Three coats and it was good. I'm a sloppy painter, so keep that in mind, and the bubbles in my swatch aren't from the polish. If you like extremely bright pastels, then I think it's worth getting.

    I have three more coming in the mail, including Thorn, because I thought the same as you did in the store. We shall see!

    Also, that t-shirt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read all the stuff about terrible formulas! If it's not that bad, formula-wise, then maybe I'll rethink not buying some of the brights! They looked super fun to me, but maybe not terribly unique?

      Thanks for linking me to your post!

      Delete
  6. Literally had the thought today, "Oh shit has Stephanie posted about Pilotto yet?!" I totally agree about this collection being lackluster. The prints are truly amazing (especially this purple/green one) but the actual items left a lot to be desired. I got the black and white bikini top and the iris print tank, both of which I adore, but the rest of the items I'm just going to wait until they're on clearance. I wanted to buy the sunglasses SO bad but despite my best efforts I can't pull off round frames. Eternal sadness.

    I really love this color and am fiending over several of the colors, but after reading PolishAholic's post about the crappy formulas, I'm hesitant. I'm just so ready for summer and all this snow to go away I'm desperate for any kind of color in my life. Will most likely pick up the yellow just because I don't own anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lindsey! I'm a little bummed that my Target didn't get much of the collection because I haven't been able to actually SEE all of it. But the things I did see were blah to me.

      Yeah, I read all the reviews of the crappy formulas on these polishes, so I bought two that had the best reviews. I just don't have time for streaky polishes anymore! I guess we'll have to see what others say about the formulas once more people review these.

      Delete
  7. First, that cat shirt? Perfection. Next? Please. stop. you're killing me. I'm on this weird neutral kick and all these you're posting I've been like "omfgineedthesenoworimgoingtohulkout". *sigh* I wonder how the rest of the new Spring ChG collection is. I'm like you I've been in a rut with all the recent new releases. Nothing really has grabbed my attention. Oh and did you know this year's OPI soft shades collection?? yeah, so not soft shades. wth! I'm hard core bumming about this year's soft shades collection :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the soft shades the muppets collection? If so, I saw that and I wasn't impressed with many of them, but I'll have to see it in person.

      You know what's weird? I was super excited for OPI Brazil, but I've seen them twice now and walked away with nothing both times.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!