Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Essie Fashion Playground

My Target has been killing it lately in terms of Essie.  It had the resort collection ages ago, and I spotted the spring collection, which I think is called Hide and Go Chic (like), two weeks ago (which I still have not seen at Ulta).  I couldn't just let the spring collection PASS ME BY, so I chose just one

 
My hands are so dry.  I put on lotion right before I took these pictures and it didn't help much. This winter has been awful for my poor skin.  SORRY.









This is Fashion Playground.  At first I thought that it was a mint green--and it does look like that sometimes--but now I think it's more of a green-leaning turquoise.  It has that really subtle shimmer that so many of Essie's recent releases have had (like Cocktails & Coconuts), but it's pretty difficult to see unless you have really good light or you're at a really good angle.  I was attracted to it while I was in the store, but I was convinced that there is another Essie shade that's really close to it but I couldn't figure out what it was...but I think it's Turquoise and Caicos (the only polish from Essie Resort 2011 that I don't have!).  I can't compare the two, but there's something really familiar about Fashion Playground.  Even so, it's still really pretty.  

I didn't find the formula easy to work with.  First, my brush had some seriously wonky fibers on it.  One of them was really long, and I wanted to just cut it off...but I was on the couch under a blanket polishing and didn't want to get up.  You know how it is.  The weird brush did make application kind of challenging, but not nearly as much as the formula did.  I thought it was really thick.  The first coat was disappointingly streaky.  So was the second.  The third evened everything out decently, but it still didn't look perfect; I think SV would have really helped things out, but I don't have any of that...so I used NYC GCS.  Fashion Playground looks nice enough on me, but it does give me some of the dreaded LOBSTAH HANDS.  I like it anyway, though, and I think it's a perfect color for spring.  Very new life-y and refreshing, like a stick of minty gum.

In life news, this past weekend was really nice.  For V-Day on Friday Ben and I went out to The Melting Pot, and he got me FLOWERS (which I love very much) and also this watch:

I also love this very much (although it's not a great picture).  Those are the rails of my balcony reflected on the right side.  So rose gold-y and shiny.

Remy also enjoyed Valentine's Day, because it was the first time since Christmas that he got to try to eat wrapping paper:

You can't tell, but he's tearing it apart and nomming on it.

On Saturday we went out to dinner at Melt for our friend's birthday, and then hit a few bars.  Sunday we saw The Lego Movie with another friend (and it was wonderful), and yesterday we saw Monuments Men (less wonderful, but okay).  I like weekends full of friends and melted cheese.  Plus I've been going to the gym six days a week, so I let myself eat fries.  It was GLORIOUS, friends.  Glorious.  Other than that, I have been watching or DVRing the Olympic figure skating during the live broadcast to hear Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir commentating.  Because it's amazing and it delights me.  They're a little bitchy and completely hilarious.  WAAAAAAAAY better than the prime time commentators.  Set your DVRs, ladies.  10am on skating days.  You won't regret it.

Okay, that's all for today.  Has anyone else seen the Essie spring collection popping up anywhere?  I'm eager to see more swatches, but I really haven't seen too many so far.  I'm so ready for spring to get here!!!!!  And lately I've really been on the lookout for refreshing colors like Fashion Playground to liven up these gray February days.  What about you guys?  What's getting you through the tail-end of winter?

9 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the spring collection ANYWHERE (in fact, this is the first swatch I've seen of any of the polishes!). But it looks gorgeous on you and confirms I need it.

    Secondly...that watch. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw it again today at Rite-Aid (although it was one of those weird displays where there are only slots for four of the six polishes in the collection...don't know why they do that) so you might want to check there.

      We actually got this watch from Costco (haha), but I saw the same watch at TJ Maxx not too far back in white and gold.

      Delete
  2. I *just* got the resort collection and I haven't even worn any of them yet. I guess I need to head to Target!

    I just picked up a full sized bottle of Turquoise and Caicos at CVS this week. I got the mini set of that resort collection when it came out, and bought a full sized Playa del Platinum shortly after. I didn't think I needed another blue-green polish, but last week I realized my mini bottle of T&C was basically empty and panicked. It's actually a pretty unique shade of blue-green to my stash.

    tl;dr I'm pretty sure T&C is part of the core line now, so you can probably pick up a bottle if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get T&C the first time around because I didn't think it was my kind of color. I still don't think I really want it. A lot of the time colors like that (and Fashion Playground!) make my skin look super red. I dunno. I think I'll still pass on it, especially since I have a suspicion that Fashion Playground is close to it.

      Delete
  3. This shade is so pretty on you. I have tons of mint greens but I may need to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This one might be unique because of the shimmer, which I wish I had been able to capture. Alas.

      Delete
  4. So pretty! It sort of looks like Peruvian opals (although they are one of my favorite gemstones, so any blue-green I see I want to look like Peruvian opals)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally looks like a Peruvian opal!

      Delete
  5. I just bought this yesterday - it's my first Essie polish, and I wasn't impressed with the streaky-ness and thickness. It looks OK enough, but I had to do three coats. I put SV on top and used CND sticky, so it's here to stay for at least a few days. I could have done a better job of applying - I'm still a nail polish newbie. But all in all, I like it.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!