Monday, February 03, 2014

OPI I'm Not Really a Waitress OR: Daaaaaaamn That's Sexy

It was around Christmastime when I saw the OPI iPhone cases at TJ Maxx.  I remember I was in line buying something for my mom when I noticed them, and I held off buying myself one.  Because during the holidays you're not supposed to buy stuff for yourself, right?  Well, immediately after Christmas (probably even before New Years) Ben and I were in TJ Maxx buying something practical for him, and I saw the cases again.  And that's when I pounced.  I had already looked at all of them a few weeks prior, so I knew which one I wanted based on the design of the case (and not the color of the polish represented).  I chose I'm Not Really a Waitress because the case was the most aesthetically pleasing to me, but as a bonus, I also didn't already own that color (the case came with a mini bottle of polish).  Which is ridiculous.  Because it is not just an OPI core color, it is the OPI core color.

I took this picture with flash because there was no sun, but look at it.  This is a seriously sexy, velvety red.



I love the inside of the case!  Seriously, how cute is that?



I'm Not Really a Waitress is from the Hollywood collection of 1999.  I actually own one other polish from that collection, Tinsel Town Taupe.  The color is a really beautiful, deep, blue-based red with prominent shimmer that makes it look almost metallic.  It has this understated sparkle in bright light that almost reminds me of like...car paint?  I don't know.  Like that finish that some cars have that's sort of sparkly or shimmery (any car people reading this right now are probably rolling their eyes but it's TRUE).  And also the formula was FLAWLESS.  OPI mini bottles are very tiny and have very tiny brushes, but even working with that this was so easy to apply.  I was shocked.  It was smooth and buttery, and on the first coat it didn't come out looking berry-toned like a lot of OPI reds can (I'm looking at you, Vodka and Caviar); you get the bottle color on the first coat.  I used two coats here.  Sadly the very next morning after I put this on I had to go buy new skinny jeans, and I somehow broke a nail off on one of the MANY TAGS that H&M jeans have on them.  But even though my pinky nail was jacked up, I still rocked this color.  Because that is how beautiful it is.  If you're a red lover I feel like you can't go without this.  I'm surprised I had never bought it.  I will probably buy myself a full-sized bottle, because as I mentioned ,this is core, and you can find it pretty much everywhere OPI is sold.

This weekend was pretty nice even though Ben is gone.  On Saturday I spent some time with my dad in the afternoon and evening, and I shopped for jeans in the morning and hit Sephora (because...who am I kidding?).  Last night I went to a Super Bowl party at a friend's place, and at some point my friend and I switched tops (I gave him my hoodie and he gave me his Peyton Manning Colts jersey).  And then because I can't resist COSTUMING MYSELF, I did some little eye black [eyeliner] under my eyes.  It's at a bizarre angle because I had been drinking, and for some reason at that moment I felt like it looked right.  But WHATEVER it was fine.


It was a good time and I'm glad I went.  I learned a little bit about football because my friend Dave was very patiently explaining everything to me and I was actually starting to understand (I have never been a football person, and I think it's because there are a lot of weird rules that I just don't get--baseball, though?  Come at me).  I didn't really care who won, but I went in ready to cheer on the Broncos.  Clearly that didn't go well.  But it was still a good time.  

That's all for today.  I hope everyone had nice weekends, too.  And I've asked this before, but...what's your favorite red nail polish?  I think right now mine is China Glaze Igniting Love, but this OPI is just...perfection, isn't it?

22 comments:

  1. Lolol at your "bizarre angle because I'd been drinking" comment...we've all been there, haven't we? ;)

    Me and red polish don't get along very well, I swear that just about any bright red just looks like blood on my finger tips. But, I'm slowly learning that dark reds/burgundys work okay and my current fave is Layla 07 (Queen Bordeaux). This OPI looks divine on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of my favorite dark, vampy reds is OPI Black Cherry Chutney. Might be something to check out if you haven't already.

      Delete
  2. Hhahahahah I had to laugh at the angled stripes under your eyes… it's the thought that counts though so oh well. At least your nails looked flawless (I'm sure).

    The finish of this reminds me of the shiny reds that are always on bumper cars/amusement park rides. I don't know why I know this but it's true. It's gorgeous, regardless!! And the inside of that phone case? STAWP. I would want that on the outside haha.

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's true about the bumper cars!!!! You're so right.

      I saw your cute Butter London phone case! Girl, that thing is amazing.

      Delete
  3. I know it's boring, but OPI Red is still my go to red nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally jealous of you iPhone users ... you guys get all the cute cases! :) I think this looks great on you. It's too cool-toned for me -- OPI Affair in Red Square/butter LONDON Knees up would be my preferred red shimmer pick(s). There are too many reds I love, though. I can't even name them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I have An Affair in Red Square. I feel like I must. Or maybe I'm thinking of Bare it in Trafalgar Square. SO MANY SQUARES.

      Delete
  5. A lot of older (male) fans complain about so many new rules, but they're for the safety of the players. Some of them are not as evenly applied as they should be (offensive pass interference!!!), but it's worth the annoyance to limit career ending injuries for everyone who plays.

    I need to get this. I keep telling myself my first OPI,Thanks So Muchness, is so similar I don't need it, but since it's a core color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not really complaining about the rules. I just don't really understand them because I've never cared to learn about football! But maybe next season.

      Oh man, I remember Thanks So Muchness. I didn't get that one. The only one I got from that collection was Absolutely Alice.

      Delete
    2. It's still pretty easy to find. Amazon has it for $5.25. One of my favorite reds.

      Delete
  6. Waitress is definitely one of my favorite OPIs of all time - I think I wore it every day for about 4 months in about 2003!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I don't think I've ever done that with any polish!

      Delete
  7. Hey, Stephanie. You asked earlier about wedding "ideas". I'd like to give you one that we used at my daughter's wedding. She got married in a church, and I don't think you're going to do that, but it would still work in a different setting. Toward the end of the wedding, the photographer had his assistant go to the balcony with a camera. As my daughter and son-in-law turned to make their way down the isle, they paused and everyone turned around and looked up at the photographer, (and smiled or whatever) and a picture was made. It is one of their favorite pics. It's a nice sort of candid shot before the craziness of the reception, and everyone is happy and smiley like everyone is at the end of a wedding. (Oh - the guests knew to turn around because the priest told them to at the end of the wedding) Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did this at my wedding, too! It's a fantastic photo, I'd highly recommend trying to do it. If there isn't a balcony available, your photographer could even try standing on a chair and holding the camera above his/her head.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a nice picture. I can see what my photographer thinks about that :)

      Delete
  8. I am wearing this today because of this post! You're right, it's lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's the ultimate compliment.

      Delete
  9. "clearly they didn't do well"
    Hahaha, I actually came into the game with a very basic understanding of how it's played, and I was all set to go. Then that "safety" (???!!) happened, and it took hours for me to recover from the confusion.

    I had a major inner debate recently about whether or not to get INRAW, but I've mostly officially decided that I love OPI In My Santa Suit so much, nothing can beat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have that one either! But it definitely looks gorgeous. I don't think I got anything from the Mariah Carey jam-jams this winter. I thought about it, but I never pulled the trigger.

      Delete
  10. I am pretty sure I have the original from 1999-I know for sure it's a black label polish. I love this red, but that chemical smell kills me! I need to buy a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the chemical smell, but a lot of people have told me that they can't stand it, too.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!