Thursday, February 20, 2014

OPI The Thrill of Brazil

Because oodles of swatches of the OPI spring collection have been popping up, I decided to dig out a classic OPI red, The Thrill of Brazil.









I don't even remember when OPI was $6.

My thumbs have the driest skin on my entire body, not even kidding.  But I wanted to show you my PARTY NAIL, which is three coats of Shimmer Polish Elsa (which was generously sent to me in 2012, and which you can still buy here).  I needed to add some sparkle to my copious texting, I guess.


First of all, we should probably talk about how when I took these pictures it was 40 degrees, sunny, and I was outside WITHOUT A COAT (I mean, I was still wearing a scarf and also my little PINK workout jacket that I wear to the gym, but STILL).  It felt so good, I cannot even tell you [SIDEBAR:  every year I say that fall is my favorite season, but I think it's actually spring.  I love the smell of spring and the feel of spring and the flowers and how the sunshine is finally warm after many long months of winter; the springtime fuzzy-feels pretty much make surviving Cleveland winters worth it].  So, about The Thrill of Brazil...I think it's core, because you can still buy it on the Ulta website.  It was originally released in the 2002 spring South American collection.  My bottle is black label, which means it stinks like chemicals, has a tiny brush, and applies SO WELL it's ridiculous.  There isn't really much to say about this polish.  I would call it a true red creme.  I don't think it really leans too red or too blue, but straddles the fence somewhere in between.  I did two coats here; unlike a lot of OPI reds, this one has no berry undertones on the first coat.  What you see in the bottle is what you get on the nail, and I was happy with how this one looked at two coats.  

This is in fact not the only Brazil-ish themed OPI nail polish I own; I also have Up the Amazon Without a Paddle.  When the 2014 OPI Brazils finally made their debut I got my butt to Ulta to check them out...and walked away with zero.  Then the other day I went back to Ulta, I scrutinized all of them, and again walked away with zero.  The corals are beautiful, but I've been collecting corals with vigor for years now, and they're just not unique.  The taupes are beautiful, but the same goes for them.  I think I finally settled on bringing home the yellow (I Just Can't Cope-acabana) and the deep green (Amazon...Amazoff [har har har]), because...Brazilian flag.  And also because I don't have a yellow that applies well, and I've heard tell that this new OPI one is okay/good.

Okay, that's all for today.  How are you guys feeling about The Thrill of Brazil?  Does anyone else have a black label bottle of this?  Does anyone remember...when OPIs were $6 at Trade Secret?  And lastly (I promise), what are your picks from OPI Brazil?

16 comments:

  1. I had a pedicure done with Thrill of Brazil and adored it! Your photos reminded how...well...RED it is! Some can get a little lost but this one was stand out, look at me, classic. *scampers off to buy a bottle* XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very red. And a very true red. I hope you find a bottle!

      Delete
  2. Oooooo that is one sassy red - love it! I'm always on the prowl for my perfect red. Will have to try this one. So glad you shared it! Nothing from the new collection tempts me much. All nice colors, just not unique.

    ~Karli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right...nice colors, just not unique. That's totally how I feel.

      Delete
  3. Great colour.The only black label OPI I own is Merryberry Mauve.I don't remember
    the last time ANY salon polish was $6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've actually seen Merryberry Mauve in person!

      Delete
  4. YES I have (and love) thrill of Brazil!! Mine is black label too… I feel so much closer to you hahah. I have to give my mom the credit though since it was/is her bottle and I just stole it. Regardless it is my favorite red polish and never understand why I don't wear it more often. If I hadn't JUST painted my nails (seriously they're drying as I type this) I would run to my polish wall and nab this to use… toes are a thing though… I MAY FINALLY UTILIZE THEM (why do I make it sound like my toes are non-functional? Ugh school is getting to me and I'm not even half way through the semester).

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, yes! We are sisters in black label OPI polish. After I put it on I texted my friend and told her it's my new favorite red! Solidarity!!

      I have light blue on my non-functional toes now. Very refreshing.

      Delete
  5. Love your blog. I just happened to find it because I'm getting ready to post a caviar manicure and I was looking online for a photo of that scene in Titanic (because I'm corny). In the image results was a picture of your post featuring OPI Vodka & Caviar. I looked around your blog and you have great style. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! That's so nice of you. I totally remember writing that Titanic reference-post back in the day...memories!

      Delete
  6. I've been reading your blog for a few years now (before your move to New York) and have always enjoyed it. But lately it has become extra awesome (or maybe I changed). I love it that you post pics of clothes and cute kittens :) and speak about your life. Not just polish talk. Also, the swatches of polish with your hand close to your face are great, I can get a better appreciation of how a polish looks most of the times, from afar. Keep up the good work :)

    P.S.
    Can't wait to see your wedding dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! That's very nice of you. New tagline: Short 'n Chic: Extra Awesome.

      Delete
  7. Wow!!! This is so pretty. I super like the color. Wearing this nail color will def make anyone look sexy. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. $6?!?!? Why could I not have started my nail polish obsession at that price? This $9-$14 per bottle stuff is killing me!

    Anyways, I love the look of the Brazil collection, but another YT/IG chick (Nicole from Young, Wild, and Polished) is not giving the formulas great reviews... Are you planning on getting any other shades for comparison sake?

    Great pictures and content as always!
    -Gillian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, probably not. I haven't even gotten the two that I mentioned. At this point (especially with staple shades like coral and taupe), I really don't need any more.

      That having been said...I might eventually end up getting some of this collection.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!