Friday, March 14, 2014

Shopping My Stash: Happy Pi Day Friday!

I had to reach deep outside the box for this one, guys.  When 2014 started Rach was like, "I don't know what we're going to do for January, but we have to do something for Pi Day in March!"  I've been thinking about the polish I was going to post today for months, and I finally came up with something that's a little tangential, but it works.  

So, when I was 16 my family took a vacation to Italy and my mom brought a book with her; when she was done reading it she gave it to me, and I remember I was so enthralled by it that I couldn't put it down!  Whenever we had any down time (and when I wasn't in the pool) I was reading it.  I liked it because it really made me think.  And it was some heavy stuff for a teenager on vacation, but I was into it.  The book was Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The main character is Piscine Molitor Patel, who is called Pi for short.  His parents named him after a Parisian swimming pool (piscine in French).  Weird, right?  But anyway, after Life of Pi popped into my head, my polish choice for this month became obvious:  Gap Bright Pool.








with flash because sunlight does not exist right now (will it EVER?)

See that necklace?  A Christmas present from my mom.  It's a little piece of blown glass with real dandelion fluff-seeds inside.  It's bringing good luck already!

I have Gap Bright Pool courtesy of Anna of Mitten State Prepster.  Thanks, Anna!  When word got out that there was a dupe for RBL Aqua Lily from the 2012 Fan Collection floating around I was all over it.  I haven't been buying RBL at all because of price, etc, etc, but a dupe of one of the brand's most popular shades?  Well, come at me.  Sadly I couldn't find it myself, and that's when Anna came to the rescue.  She sent this to me in October-ish (?) and DAAAAAMMNNNN is it a fine polish.  

Bright Pool is a, well, bright, crisp teal with some dainty pink microshimmer.  I had never used a polish from Gap before so I wasn't sure what to expect.  The bottle reminds me of Chanel bottles in that it is rectangular and the top pops off to make the polish easier to use.  The brush is interesting; it's very stiff, so at first I thought it might be difficult to use...but nope!  I had no trouble with it.  And the formula was great; very easy to control, and it was opaque in two coats.  I absolutely LOVE THIS COLOR!  It's amazing, and I can definitely see it becoming a staple for summertime.  It's such a happy color.  The best part is probably that RBL Aqua Lily sold for $20--but I think it's no longer available?--and Bright Pool is $6.00.  And they are dead-on dupes.  

Anyway, I know that today is all about celebrating the mathematical pi (or, let's be honest, actual pie), but I guess I couldn't help but think of Pi Patel.  I haven't read the book in over ten years, but I think its lessons have stayed with me to this day.  We are all telling stories; we are all part of stories (our own, and those of the people in our lives); and we all choose our stories.  And where would we be without them?  Life would be less colorful, more difficult.  And Bright Pool?  Well, that's a color I just don't wanna live my story without.

Okay, that's all for me today!  Thanks for stopping by, and make sure you pop on over to stuff i (s)watched to see what Rach has to show you.

Happy Pi Day Friday!

15 comments:

  1. ahhh it's so pretty on you!! I'm glad you love it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this polish, I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great color! I looks matte enough to appeal to me, but the shimmers give it something extra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have yet to read Life of Pi (STUPID CASSIE, I know) but I absolutely see the connection to this polish and pi day… this polish is gorgeous. Seriously. It's such a calming and relaxing color but that pearle to it gives it something special. Luuuuurvely.

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend it, but it's a summer read for when you're not cramming your brain with other things!

      Delete
  5. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . . . shopping

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign! Primarkonlineshoppers.com

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!