Friday, November 14, 2014

Shopping My Stash: Thanks for Giving

A while ago I was thinking, what would be good for November's SMS...and because I love food, I thought, oh, we should totally do a food theme!  Then Rach came back at me with her freaking amazing suggestion that we should feature polishes that other people have given to us.  Which, duh.  Of course we should do that.  So that is what we did.

I will tell you that I have never yearned for an OttLite so much as when I was trying to take these damn pictures, because the weather here has been balls and the light is terrible.









random picture I took at work to see if fluorescent light would help.  it didn't.


tiny cute bottle, yes please

This polish was sent to me in 2010, before I even started my first round of grad school, by a lovely [former] blogger named Nathalie.  She is French and she sent me the nicest package full of Barry M and H&M polishes (because at the time I don't think H&M polishes were available in The States!), and she also included this polish, which is Biguine Makeup Noir DorĂ© from a limited edition Betty Boop collection (sign me up).  Because Nathalie is a very, very lovely person she also included a letter with her package.  As anyone who has ever lived with me can tell you, I am not one to throw sentimental things away, but I've moved four times since 2010 so I'm not quite sure where the letter is.  But I do recall that she sent me this particular polish because of how much I spew my love for China Glaze Wagon Trail (some things never change).  And it does have some similarities to ChG WT.  Noir DorĂ© is not a complex polish; it's gold glitter flakes in a black base.  But somehow, in some lights, it does look olive green.  Isn't that interesting?

The formula on this was very thick, and it was also a one-coater, but I did two just in case.  I can't say I enjoyed the brush on this; the stem was very long, so it could get messy if there's any excess polish on the brush.  But all in all, I think this is very pretty.  I went back through my e-mail and found an exchange between Nathalie and me.  She was letting me know that she got a package I sent her, and she said that I had given her one polish she already had.  She said, "But I don't mind.  I will keep both.  In essence, I keep every gift I receive:  they are attached to people who make the gift and so, dear to me.  I've never gotten rid of a present."  She pretty succinctly summed up how I feel about gifts, too!  Seriously, she is one of the sweetest, most genuine people...and I hate to say that we've fallen out of touch.  Her blog isn't up anymore, and we haven't e-mailed since 2011.  So if you're reading this, Nathalie, I hope you're doing well, and thank you again for the gifts you've sent me.  I love them all.

Yesterday it snowed.  But it wasn't just a light dusting or anything.  I mean, it really snowed.  When I went out to my car on my way to work I was pretty shocked to find 6 inches of snow blanketing the thing.  By the time I got home from work there was probably double that on the ground and my apartment complex hadn't plowed anything.  My car is currently stuck outside in the lot--but I managed to get it stuck in a parking space and not just helter skelter wherever, so there's that.  I am so not ready for winter.  I do not have any childlike fascination with the snow this year.  I don't get a warm, fuzzy, Christmas-y feeling from it.  I would like it to go away, and I would like it to be 60 degrees again like it was LITERALLY ON TUESDAY.  Get it together, Cleveland.  I can't live like this.   

Remy was pretty cool with the snow, but I think that's because he doesn't have to drive in it.

Speaking of Remy, he's got an Instagram account now.  I have no idea how well we'll do at maintaining it, but it's there.  So if you only visit this blog for Ragdoll pictures, as I suspect is the case for many, then check out RemyRagdoll on Instagram.  He's there for your viewing pleasure.

Okay, that's all.  If you stuck with me through that whole post, then cheers.  You're a pal.  Make sure you pop over to see what Rach is wearing today!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steph,

    Love the little gold sparkles in this shade! I've been loving blacks as well :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!