Thursday, January 29, 2015

OPI Thanks A Windmillion

I don't know what to say as an introduction to this post other than that I've wanted OPI Thanks A Windmillion for a while now.  Have you ever dropped a nail polish in a store?  I did, and it was this one.  Of course the bottle broke and there was polish everywhere.  I was also with my friend Sam, and it was literally right after we got our tattoos done.  We stopped at a store for like...I don't know.  What you need for tattoo aftercare and also ice cream, and I was planning on buying Thanks A Windmillion but I dropped it instead.  So, whoops.  I saw it at a local drug store not long ago and decided to firmly grasp it this time and actually take it home with me.






I can definitely see why people really liked this polish when Holland came out in 2012 (2012!  I can't believe it was that long ago!).  I don't usually love colors like this, but it looks really good on me.  I don't know if it's something about the tone of the color or what.  I'm tempted to call Windmillion sea foam green, but I think it's too...muted? dusty? ...blue? for that.  It's also not teal at all.  I've seen it described as "sage," but I really don't think it is.  I don't know what to call it, but whatever it is it's good.  The formula was great, and I only needed two coats.  I seriously wore this until I couldn't wear it anymore--maybe six days.  I didn't get sick of it.  This is also how I felt about OPI Stranger Tides, which is still one of my favorite polishes of all time...and is also kind of a weird green color that's hard to describe.  That's not to say that Windmillion is in any way like Stranger Tides...they're just both weird colors.  I'm really glad I finally picked Windmillion up (and kept it in my hands long enough to get it to the checkout).  

I seriously need to consider doing a collection purge, y'all.  And not just like, oh this Wet n Wild polish from 1996 is kind of crappy and I never use it so I guess I could be persuaded to throw it away...  No, I'm talking like a real purge.  But it's so hard to get rid of things.  It's like deleting music on iTunes (what if someday I decide I want to listen to this song that I've only listened to once ten years ago?!).  I also have no time to do something like that, but lately the magnitude and general disarray of my collection has been irking me.  Maybe I just need to organize.  Anyway, that was a weird tangent.  I think it was because I was thinking about whether I'd rather keep Windmillion or Stranger Tides if I had to pick, and then my brain was immediately like NEVER PICK KEEP BOTH.  Sigh.

Alright, that's all for me this week.  I'll be back next week at least once!  I guess I should ask:  do you guys do regular collection purges?  How do you organize your polishes?  Do you ever wonder if you should just stop with the nail polish and makeup but then quickly realize that's insane because it's exactly what keeps you sane?  Yeah.  Me too.  

5 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been reading your blog for a while and just wanted to pop up to say thank you, I really enjoy reading it.
    When I read today's post, I thought, "same!". I have a weird favorite - its OPI First Class Desires. Very dark, shimmery vampy wonderfulness. Lovelovelove and I keep going back to it. And yes, I bought a backup bottle.
    I have a lucite 3-tiered spice rack holder that I keep all my polishes on - it holds about 48 bottles, and that's my maxiumum limit. After that, I sort and give some away to friends. I've heard about the Helmer solution but then I could have a humongous stash and it would be craaaazzeeeee...... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand the wanting to purge. I actually just started selling my nail polishes back in November. I've sold over a 100....and have so many more to go! I also get that voice in my head saying....keep them all...they are different. But I truly haven't missed the ones that I've sold :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about colors like this one. I'm also not a big fan of "cloudy" colors like this one, as I call them, but they look soooo good on my nails. It must be the skin tone thing. And you should try purging. Trust me, you'll feel good, it's refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, found your blog through Anna's blog. Anyway, must have all the pretties and to support that habit I just purchased two 102 bottle lucite nail polish racks off amazon. I hung them in my laundry room behind the door because my addiction is a little embarrassing when the babysitters start commenting. Prior to this I often left my plastic box(a girly one from target) out on my breakfast bar because it was too heavy to carry around and I liked to pick my next color in the kitchen light. I purge a couple times a year probably a total of thirty bottles. Kemper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of Windmillion..even though I have at least 10-12 aqua/green/turq. shades. Right now I am wearing Greek Isle from Sinful, which is definitely darker. But most of the turquoise ones look good on me which is why I guess I am drawn to them. I probably can't find Windmillion if it's from 2012. You mentioned Stranger Tides, it is my most favorite of all times, looks so nice with my skin tone. When I wear it, I get comments from everyone about how good it looks. Of course my bottle is almost empty, and I would love to find another one. I really wish companies would not discontinue colors so quickly. I have a question that I am sure you have answered before...BUT...how do you keep your polishes so long and have them still be usable?

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!