Friday, January 16, 2015

Shopping My Stash (2015!): Marsala, Marsala Everywhere

Rachel and I are back for SMS 2015!!  I don't think last year we did a COLOR OF THE YEAR post for SMS, but this year decided that we must.  Honestly, you are probably either a.) living under a rock or b.) you don't give a shit about Pantone (and really, who can truly blame you?) if you haven't heard about MARSALA.  I'm always interested to know what the color of the year is going to be because it sets the tone for interior design, fashion trends, makeup releases, etc.  Last year's Radiant Orchid was okay, but I didn't really embrace it.  This year I'm actually pretty excited about Marsala because it can be such a neutral.  Also it reminds me of my mom, because I kind of feel like it has always been one of her colors (she has a Marsala couch at her house!).  So, without further ado, my Pantone 2015 polish [stash] pick.





Y'ALL.  Remember when Essie was $7 at Trade Secret?  AT TRADE SECRET.  I hardly do.  But I think I got this in 2009.

I actually thought I had a pretty good Marsala lip going on in these pictures, but the light reflecting off the snow outside totally washed me out.  If you like earthy lipsticks--and lately I really do--then check out the new Rimmel Provocalips in Make Your Move.  Honestly, you should just check out that line of products, period.  Because they do not come off your face all day.


Okay, so this is Essie Sassy Satchel, which has a great name and is just an okay color.  As in, I have a million polishes that look preeeeeetty much exactly like this.  It's a wine-colored vampy shimmer.  It's fine.  It's an older polish, and the formula was great.  I used two coats.  What I like about it is its brown undertones, but I think I prefer a vampy creme to a vampy shimmer (case in point--I wore China Glaze Velvet Bow a couple times this year, and I featured it not once but twice during the second half of 2014).  Can I recommend that you run out and find this polish?  No.  If the best word I can use to describe it is "fine," then you don't need it.  

But.  I think Marsala can be interpreted in a variety of ways.  Let's check out some Pantone stuff, shall we?  



So if we check out that first image up there, Marsala looks pretty dark, rich, and jewel-toned.  What is that, anyway?  A pot of gel liner?  A plate of...something?  I don't know.  Anyway, if we look at the swatch in the second image, I think Marsala looks a lot more terracotta-y.  Browner, more subdued.  Pantone describes it as "a naturally robust and earthy wine red."  So, I suppose this color can have a range of interpretations.  And I like that.  Between the two colors there, I would say that I gravitate more toward the subdued one because, like I said at the beginning of the post, I like that it can be neutral.  

I don't tend to run out and buy color of the year stuff when we find out what it is because, like all trends, it's pretty transient.  My favorite color of the year from the recent past has been 2009's Mimosa (a mustardy yellow).  Ben will tell you that, much to his chagrin, I love yellow.  It's all over our apartment.  Will I put Marsala all over our apartment?  Probably not.  Will I buy a few Marsala lipsticks and seek out Essie In Stitches because it appears to be the absolutely perfect Marsala nail polish?  Yeah, probably.  But this is a pretty easy color for makeup because it's on the red spectrum.  I might even look for a Marsala-toned blush just for fun.  I think NARS has a few good options (also I'm late on the Pantone Universe stuff so I'm sure I won't be getting any).  Plus, I mean, Christmas Sephora gift cards are burning a hole in my pocket.  Well done, Pantone.  Well done.

Okay, that's all for me today.  So glad that we're continuing this series into 2015, because it's become one of my favorite parts of blogging.  Hop on over so stuff and check out Rachel's pick.  I like it way better than mine! :)  What do you guys think of Marsala?  Do you pay attention to this color of the year stuff, or do you just keep doing your thing and buying what you like already?  It's so easy to get sucked in!

2 comments:

  1. I am really liking this year's colour. I agree that it can be interpreted a variety of ways. I have seen some make-up looks using colours more in the brown colour family and some that are more red. I really like that it can be paired with mauves, rust colours, taupes and fawn colours. I have quite a bit of wine red coloured stuff in my wardrobe/make-up collection so I probably won't be buying any more. I really like the nail polish you used. did you have to use nail polish thinner on it? It always amazes me how some nail colours last forever and others go gloopy within one year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE that color and the name (so sassy) and I'm really looking forward to this SMS series :):):) I'm feeling the Marsala color for nails, but maybe not so much for lips... It seems like it's carrying that brown lip trend into 2015 and I'm kinda over it ...

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!