Wednesday, March 04, 2015

L'Oreal Masked Affair

Limited edition collections are so annoying.  I heard rumblings a while ago about a drugstore holo making an appearance in a L'Oreal collection, but I didn't expect to run across it because I don't have time to hunt around (regrettably).  A couple weeks ago I had to go to Walgreens for something, and as per usual I made sure to walk past the seasonal cosmetics.  And there it was!  The L'Oreal Dark Sides of Grey collection!  Completely full!  I grabbed the holo, Masked Affair.  The other polishes didn't look super special to me, but it's hard to pass on a holo, amirite?  

I will apologize in advance for my ridiculously dry cuticles and the failing sunlight.  ..sorry.









Okay we should probably talk about how obsessed with red lips I am right now.  I mean, I'm kind of always obsessed with red lips, but I'm going through a serious whenever-I'm-not-at-work-I'm-wearing-red-on-my-face phase.  This particular combination is one I'm dying over:  SmashBox Always Sharp Liner in Crimson (LOOOOOVE--wore to my wedding, is epic) with Maybelline Creamy Matte Siren in Scarlet.

So, is Masked Affair worth whatever hype it's generating?  I mean, it depends on your collection.  First let me say that I've read descriptions of Masked Affair that call it lavender.  I guess I can see how it could be construed that way, but really it just looks silver to me.  So if I'm callin' 'em like I see 'em, this is a silver semi-linear holo.  There are other places you can get dupes or semi-dupes, like China Glaze OMG (maybe if I actually put Masked Affair next to OMG I would see a difference, but...lazy).  But this polish is really accessible in that you can find it at the drug store.  Conversely, it's also kind of inaccessible because it's limited edition, like so many good things in the makeup universe.  I already have a couple of silver-ish holos, so I didn't really need Masked Affair.  But, I mean, it was there.  So I bought it.  No regrets.

The formula is actually really nice for a holographic polish.  I didn't use it over a special base coat or anything, just my standard OPI base.  I used two coats of Masked Affair and experienced minimal dragging.  The nice things about linear holos like this is that they almost always look great in photos because of the effect the polish generates, even if there are weird brushstrokes.  But like I said, this one actually has a decent formula.  An interesting thing about holos is that when you put topcoat over them it immediately makes the holographic effect look like it has been dulled.  Fear not, friends.  As the topcoat dries the holo comes back.

So...yeah.  There are my weird flip-floppy feelings about this polish.  It's good and beautiful, but it's pretty much dupable...I think.  It's like $5, though, so I feel like if you do happen to see it it's best to just snap it up.  You know, for hoarding purposes.  So, that's all for me today.  Anyone else run across this magical limited edition display?

1 comment:

  1. All that glitters is not necessarily chic.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!