I left OPI's spring collection completely untouched (my wallet thanked me), but I did buy a few China Glaze colors. I don't love blue nail polishes, typically, but I do really love periwinkle polishes. Boho Blues is juuuuuuust on the end of the blue spectrum towards periwinkle; a couple more drops of purple and I'd say it tipped the scales. But it is a really pretty blue. I've had troubles with the formulas on all of the ChG Road Trip polishes I've tried, and while the formula on this one is okay, it's not ideal. I mean, especially for a creme. China Glaze knows how to make creme formulas pretty flawlessly, so I don't know why these polishes have issues. I was able to get away with two coats, but I used pretty thick ones. Otherwise it would have been patchy and I would have needed three. And as a great woman (it was me) once said, eff that. I like this polish, but it doesn't come close to a recent China Glaze favorite from last spring, What A Pansy. Now that is one delicious periwinkle.
So anyway, my absence. It's been a combination of things, really.
1. I don't know if I ever mentioned this here, but I started teaching a class at a community college at the end of January and it has kicked my ass. It's my first time teaching this class, so I had to create a lot of content. It's a three-hour class once a week, so I have had to write these long lectures weekly etc etc etc. It took up so much time; I was kind of shocked. Combine that with my other job, and I have been working much more than full time the past few months. I'm also pretty sure I'll be teaching this same class next semester, but because I've already written the lectures and stuff it should be less time consuming and perhaps more enjoyable.
2. In March I was doing a writing gig for...well, it's super boring so I won't even elaborate on that. But basically I was writing [short] articles about what were, to me, completely unfamiliar topics (that were art historical but not in my field at all). I spent a lot of time doing that, and sadly I've found out that that process still isn't over because they just came back to me from an editor. So, that was a thing I was doing too.
3. This is weird, and I've never had this happen before in the half a decade I've maintained this blog, but I got a little anxiety about posting stuff. Of course this is a blog about nail polish, and I assume that if you're here we have that interest in common. But since January or so I'd do my nails and look at them and think, well my hands look terrible or the topcoat looks weird or this stupid shit polish pooled at my cuticles, I'm not even going to bother taking pictures and stuff. The last thing that I want is for this blog to cause me any sort of anxiety or for it to feel like work. I wasn't really excited to post something today, but I at least had the urge so, there's that.
4. I've kind of been having a hard time lately about some personal stuff. It's nothing cataclysmic, and I know that I have it really good compared to many, many people. My issues right now are related to being a married woman in my late twenties whose girlfriends are all pregnant. People ask me all the time when I'm having kids, and I feel like the socially acceptable answer isn't to slap them in the face and say, "UH MAYBE NEVER??" It's hard for me here right now because most of my really good friends are sort of scattered across the country, and the few lady friends I've managed to make here are pregnant now (all at the same time!!). I feel like I'm just totally on a different page than they are, and it makes it difficult for me to relate to them/feel like I can fit in at all anymore. I already felt different for a lot of reasons, but this has really highlighted it, underlined it, italicized it, and put two exclamation marks after it.
5. Because I've been so busy/sad-ish/confused, I haven't been feeling super creative. I don't do like nail art or anything like that, but I do often find that I like to express myself through writing--which is why I started a blog at all. It's not about the pictures like many in this particular niche are; it's about the words and it's, at its base, about me. I haven't felt like writing lately and I haven't felt much like sharing myself. I guess it's just a weird time.
So, there are some reasons why I haven't been around. I don't even know if anyone is reading this anymore, but I think that in May I'll try harder to maintain things around here. I don't really want to be posting just once a month, because that's not worth it to me. Here's hoping I can get my shit together and then keep my shit together, which I'm sure is a sentiment many of you can echo. See you in May (fingers crossed)!