Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend: Motorcycles, Marriage, Mercury

Oh, guys.  So, I hear that Mercury is in retrograde and that it tends to screw things up.  I don't know if I believe in that stuff, but if it's true...then this past weekend makes a lot more sense.  Some good things happened, for sure.  But also, some bad things happened.  

The first good thing that happened was that Rach and B got to Cleveland on Thursday night; I was super excited to see them.  But then the worst thing happened:  immediately upon their arrival I got a phone call from the police that my dad had gotten in a motorcycle accident.  I had to leave R and B with Ben and go to the hospital where he had been life flighted.  The cop who talked to me [probably unintentionally] made his injuries sound life threatening, so I was freaking the hell out on my drive to the hospital.  My mom was out of town but she got there eventually.  Basically...we still don't quite know what happened.  He lost control of the bike somehow and went down.  He was wearing a helmet, so he has no injuries to his head, thankfully no injuries to his neck, and his internal bits are okay.  However, he broke both of his ankles (one pretty badly), and they both require surgery.  He also has road rash (which is apparently super painful) and a pretty nasty gash on his arm.  It's going to be a long recovery...and he doesn't go into surgery until June 1.  He'll be in the hospital until then.

Once Ben and I knew that my dad didn't have any life threatening injuries we packed our stuff and headed to Michigan to see Anna and Bryant get married.  We made Rach and B watch the Cavs game with us at a weirdly deserted wine bar in Muskegon on Friday night and had some pretty tasty dinner.  Saturday we...experienced Muskegon?...and had some seriously amazing lunch involving much bacon.  The wedding ceremony was super cute and Anna looked freaking gorgeous.  I loved her dress!

The reception was also very fun, and again I say:  Anna looked amazing.  She and Bryant are so stinking cute that I can't even.  Their first dance was sweet and they looked so happy.

SEE?
I didn't take very many pictures but I love this one.

Also they had DONUTS instead of cake.  Uh YAAAAAAASSS to this, so amazing.

Here's us being happy.

And here are my terrible-looking nails.  I didn't have time to think about polish with everything that had happened, so this is one coat of Revlon Queen of Hearts.  It is what it is.

Seriously, it was so good to see Anna, especially looking so happy.  Ben and I had to head back to CLE really early on Sunday so that I could make it back in time to host my best friend's bridal shower  (I know; last weekend was just crazy busy).  Rachel and B followed us a couple hours later, and while I was at the shower...and then the hospital to see my dad...they went to see Mad Max with Ben and his other friend.  Then we made them watch another Cavs game, haha (but this game was REALLY GOOD oh my god you guys).  

It was so good to see Rach!  I'm glad they could stay with us a couple of nights--although I kept apologizing for not being able to be there the first night because I was at the emergency room.  I felt bad having guests and leaving them with just Ben.  Although they actually know Ben better [in person] than they know me, because they've gotten together a few times when he's in VA for work.  They had a little fiasco with their rental car on Monday--nail in the tire!  We were afraid they wouldn't be able to get a new car because of the holiday but they were and they got home safely that night.  ANYWAY.  I'm thankful for all of these friends that I've made through this nice little community.  And that alone makes the blog worth it.  

I took off the hastily applied Revlon Queen of Hearts on Monday night and replaced it with Lippmann I Know What Boys Like.  Y'ALL.  I remember wanting this color when it was released in like...2011...? and then I got it on clearance at Ulta sometime in the past few months.  Uh it's really good.  



Not quite sure how to describe the color.  Maybe a dark periwinkle?  It is so stinking beautiful.  Seriously, I put it on and wondered why it had taken me so long to try it.  I have always heard that Lippmann cremes have great formulas, but I felt that this one left something to be desired.  I needed three coats, and even after that I had a couple noticeable (to me) bald patches.  But still.  I am in love with this color.

It's so good!

The one good thing about the hospital where my dad is?  They serve Caribou.  Takes me back, guys!  All the Caribous in Ohio closed semi-recently, and I haven't had it since I was out in Colorado last May.  Reminds me fondly of when I worked at Bou. 

Miss youuuuuu.

Oh, I forgot to mention that on Saturday while we were in MI our apartment complex caught on fire.  Not our actual apartment building, but the buildings across the street.  My friend who was watching Remy texted me about it and I was just like WTF IS REMY OKAY.  That was a terrifying text to get while we were out of town/ever.  Luckily things were fine when we got back.

I spent pretty much all day yesterday with my dad at the hospital.  I brought my work laptop so I could get some things done, but generally we just chatted and...watched this building get demolished out the window.  Which actually seemed to cheer him considerably.  I can't imagine how shitty it is to be holed up in a hospital alone with two broken legs.  My mom and I are both trying to be there whenever we can because dude.  This is rough.  Seeing him like this makes my heart hurt; that's the only way I can describe it.  We're all just thankful that this happened close to home and not on the country roads he likes to ride on.  After surgery there will be recovery and rehab and all that other stuff, but he'll be okay.  Which is good, because I love him a lot.

Whenever my parents' cats, Alley and Raven, stare out the window, my parents always call it watching cat tv.  So here's my dad and me watching cat tv.

And to end, not that this is the worst thing that's ever happened, but our cable went out during the Cavs game last night.  Rach tells me to blame Mercury, and at this point I think she might be right.  We had to hoof it to a bar to see the second half, but they trounced the Hawks so badly it almost didn't matter.  Stupid Mercury, though.

Alright, so...thanks for reading all that if you did?  I know it's probably scattered and weird, but I felt like I had to get some of this out.  So why not blog, y'know?  I hope everyone else had nice non-Mercury-probs weekends, and I will hopefully talk to you soon.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad! That's a really scary phone call to get. I wish him a speedy and hopefully not too boring and painful recovery. :) And I'm glad you got to watch the Cavs games, they were awesome!! Now we just gotta get ready for the FINALS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you thank you thank you for coming and for the INCREDIBLY sweet gift!! I love you guys and am happy you loved the donuts =) How was the wine bar? It's on my list to try!

    Major hugs to you and your B <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief, what a weekend you had! Good luck to your dad in his surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a horrible fright to get - I'm glad your dad's injuries aren't life threatening and hope his surgery goes ok.
    I love the wedding pictures, that one of the bride & groom is adorable and you look very pretty!
    I love IKWBL as well, don't remember the formula being bad though, I must wear it again to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So insuck at reading things in a timely manner. Now that i dont blog and its not all up in my face on my dash anymore, i super suck and go like months without reading then suddenly like im all oh shit heyy i need to go see what stef is up to. And then i come and see this and im all super like ohhhh shiz. Anyway thats a redonk long way to say holy crap im sorry bout what happend to your pops. Heres to a recovery as speedy as it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a good weekend. My in-laws have moved to Richmond from Seattle so it's nice to have them in the same city. We went to see the new Melissa McCarthy movie Spy. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - hope that your dad is on the mend! Sending good thoughts your way.

    ~Karli

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!